Abak Atama Soup Recipe -Nigerian Efik Soup
Image Credits: cookpad
Abak is the Efik word for banga. If you have been a favorite follower on the blog you would have noticed that I am quite a fan of efik dishes. From banga soup to edikaikong to afang soup to banga rice. I believe you have enjoyed learning these various dishes here and you would try out this Abak atama soup recipe
So let us cook…
Recipe for Abak Atama Soup
- 3 cups of palm fruit juice or 5 cups of palm nut fruits
- 1 small bunch of atama leaves (shredded)
- 1 kg of beef
- 5 -6 piecies of shaki (beef tripe) and Kpomo (Cow skin)
- 1 medium piece of stock fish
- ½ cup of crayfish
- ½ piece of Uyayak (aiden fruit) – Deseeded
- ½ tablespoon Chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon crayfish powder
- Seasoning Cubes
- Salt to taste
Method Of Preparation
- If you are using palm nuts from scratch, wash, boil, pound and extract the juices to make 3 cups of palm nut juice. If you are using the canned palm nut cream, mix it with 3 cups of water.
Check how to extract palm nut from scratch in my Banga soup recipe article
- Season and boil your meats (beef, tripe, cow skin).
- Bring to boil the palm nut juice for about 15 minutes and add your meats and continue to boil. If it gets to thick or dry, add some water.
- Next, season your soup at this point using salt, pepper, seasonings, uyayak and crayfish powder. Make sure not to over- do on the salt as it may be over powering.
- Add your crayfish pieces, stock fish, smoked fish and any other elements you wish to add to the soup at this point.
- Once the soup starts to thicken, add your washed atama leaves and allow to simmer for an extra 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with Pounded Yam, Fufu or any swallow of your choice.
There you have it, Nigerian abak atama recipe made easy… I would like to see what you have been cooking with our recipes, don’t forget to tag @cookwithkemi on Instagram, facebook or simply leave us a comment.
Till my next recipe, keep adding a large dose of love into your cooking pots. #cookwithkemi#lovecook