Hello, dear foodie clan it’s the middle of the year 2019. And I’m wondering wow… when did the year start? Indeed, time wait for no one.
So this morning I thought of what to share with my foodie clan and I remembered recently watching on a food channel different eggplant recipes. And it hit me! I haven’t make garden egg sauce in a while and to think that it was the most common food I grew up with. I must say, although I don’t enjoy eating raw garden egg, it is highly nutritious. I actually prefer eating garden egg when it has been sauced and made into a perfect eggplant stew. And this is one sauce, I like for boiled yam or boiled plantains; do you know you can eat it with rice? Try that also!!!.
Garden egg is also known as eggplant and its health benefit are enormous. It contains fibre, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and phytonutrient content that supports heart health. It is also known to be good in weight management and satiety . and do you know it has an incredible health benefit for pregnant women also? Read here to find out
Surprisingly the first time I shared this recipe with fellow colleagues( when I use to do a 9-5pm job), it was a hit. I remembered one of my colleague, Mr Fagbolagun saying, ‘ ehn ehn, I didn’t know we can make a sauce with garden egg o, I only eat the raw ones…ok, now that I know, I’ll tell my wife to make it for me.’
You must try this; it’s simple and delish, with minimal ingredient
So let us cook…
How To Make Garden Egg Sauce
- Boil the garden eggs, the bell pepper and scotch bonnet for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Peel the garden eggs skin by gently pulling on the thin white coating. lightly crush the boiled garden eggs with the peppers
Cookwithkemi hint. If you are eating this with boiled yam, boil the garden eggs and peppers with the yam in the same pot. So after about 10/12 minutes, take them out and leave the yam to continue boiling until it cooks
- Set a pot on medium heat, add in the oil[ I prefer palm oil, but you are free to use any oil]. Wait 2 minutes then add in the onions. fry the onions until translucent
- Add in all the cubed tomatoes. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 5 minutes
- Add the crushed garden eggs with pepper and fish into the sauce, combine. Add salt and a seasoning cube. Allow simmering for another 5 minutes
- Taste and adjust for seasoning. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Then put off the heat and serve
Either on boiled/fried yam/potatoes
Till my next recipe, do try garden egg sauce and let us know your comments on it. Also, follow us on all our social media platforms and before you leave, you should subscribe to the blog so that you can get notified of new recipes as soon as it drops on the blog site. Thank you.
And remember, to always add a dose of love into your cooking#cookwithkemi#lovecook