Miyan Wake- Northern Bean Soup
Miyan Wake is a Northern delicacy served with either Tuwo Shinkafa or Amala. Served with tuwo shinkafa, it is said to be one of the foods that contain all the essential nutrient for maintaining a healthy skin.
Miyan wake also known as the bean soup is similar to the Yoruba (Western Nigeria), Gbegiri soup. Which, is also made with beans. Beans, as we know, is a good source of protein, iron and it is cholesterol free. So a blend of beans with fish, meat gives a complete nutrient from plant and animal source.
I got to know about this food while experimenting with food. I mostly prepare my gbegiri soup using this method, just to add a slight twist to a rather plain soup. And fortunately for me, as I was watching a cooking competition on air, a Hausa lady prepared this and I quite remembered I was fascinated. I later confirmed from my Hausa friend, who affirm the fact that my people from the North cook their bean soup this way.
So, let us cook…
Method of Preparing Miyan Wake- Northern Nigeria Bean Soup
- De-hulled your beans and boil in 2 litres of water with sliced onions until soft. You may watch how to de-hull your beans using a blender, here
- Marsh it thoroughly
- Add palm oil, meat, dried fish, cow skin, iru and pepper into the mashed beans and cook like 7-10 minutes
- Add pepper, seasoning and a little water. Stir and cook for 5 mins
- Add salt to taste.
- And finally, add efirin and leave to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Then it is done. Serve with Tuwo Shinkafa or amalaThere are 100s of other Hausa foods and I will like to say that little by little, they will all be uploaded on this blog. So if you are reading this and you have a wicked Hausa recipe, enlighten me please, so I can try it out too.
You may contact me via my private Watsapp line or email it to me email@example.com with pictures. I will put it on the blog and be sure to acknowledge the author. I’ll be waiting expectantly.Thanks
Remember to leave your comment using the comment form below. Follow us on all our social media platform and also share this food love to family and friends.
Till my next recipe, stay excited and keep adding a large dose of love into your cooking pots.