Just yesterday, I decided to go for it! The meatballs my little angel has been asking for. “Mummy, it’s been a long time you’ve made meatballs.’ So, it’s been songs of meatballs for over a week now. You know how it is when you still got a whole load of new recipes to work through that you will be like, not now, please!!!. But thank God, at last, I decided to give myself a break from work and just do something relaxing. But, you guessed right, it still work, right? But it meatballs now, it’s easy, quick and simple.
I decided to add a little twist to it this time around. Knowledge gleaned from the times of watching food channels, food network and the like. So I added a bit of lime to add a tangy feel to it and caramelized onions and garlic. Wow! It came out perfect.
Hear my husbands’( my honourable taster) comment on it… Kemi, I have sworn to stay away from eating beef in this house, but you just won’t allow me, ahh, so, what did you put in this meatball, it’s nice, can I have one more, please? – that is from someone that has sworn off beef ooo (laughs)So, I hope someone too will change their mind for good about your cooking when you try this method.
So let’s get cooking…
Simple meatballs preparation
- Season the minced meat with cookwithkemi pepper soup spice, add salt, seasoning cube, curry, thyme, pepper and mix well
- Meanwhile, separate the egg yolk from the egg white and set aside
- Place a clean dry pot on low heat, add a tablespoon of oil, spread with a brush or tilt the frying pan till the oil cover the whole surface, then pour in the minced garlic and grated onions
Here, I must stop to say that, you may slice the onions if you can take the whole taste of crunchy onions in your meatballs, but because I was cooking basically for my girls and they are both “Miss I must not see onions”, I decided to opt for grated onions
- Allow to caramelize but not burnt, stirring all the while, this process is between 2-3 minutes. When it’s done, put off the heat and take the pot off the cooker
- Next, add the milk to half of the measured breadcrumbs and mix well to form a paste. Pour the paste-like bread crumbs into the seasoned meat, add the egg yolk also and incorporate with the meat
- Lastly squeeze lime on the mixture (this stage is optional, but I discovered I love the taste of it)
- Finally, take the mixture a little at a time and form into a ball shape rolling the meat together in the palm of your hands. Roll each ball in the remaining half cup of bread rolls, dip into the whisked egg yolk, roll in the bread crumbs again before setting aside. Do this with each of the rolls. Then, deep fry on medium-high heat.
- Allow the oil to heat up then drop the meatballs in the oil. Fry in batches till golden brown. These fry in minutes
You may also just braise the meat
To do this…
- Place a frying pan on low heat, add 1-2 tablespoon of oil, spread the oil
- Gently placed the meatballs in the heated oil. Fry on each side until cooked. (the colour of the meat changes from pink to brown when it’s cooked). You have to keep flipping the balls so as to prevent burning
As you can see mine, its slightly got saved from being burnt. lol! Enjoy!
I do hope you will try this simple meatballs recipe out today! And have you subscribed to our blog? You get a chance of being among the first people that get notified about our recipes as soon as it drops. So go ahead and fill the subscription form below ( subscription is free). Thank you.
And until my next recipe, follow our pages on all our social media platforms, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @cookwithkemi. Make sure to like and share this post before you leave